Monday, August 1, 2011

America Is Losing It's Identity

If there is one word I would use to describe the Debt Plan that appears to be on pace to be passed into law tomorrow, the word is pathetic. Maybe I could also call it depressing, appalling, suicidal, immoral, premature, and probably 1,000 other things; for now, I will just call it downright pathetic. So this is what we have devoted trillions upon trillions of tax dollars to: a government that has made it completely obvious that their own personal interests clearly outweigh that of the American public. In light of all this, one can only hope that the majority of the politicians in office are ousted with extreme prejudice when elections come around.

From what I gathered, the plan is to increase the debt ceiling by 2.5 trillion dollars while reducing our deficit by 1.5 trillion dollars over the next ten years...over the next ten years. Maybe I should say that last little bit again...over the next TEN years. To the politicians, I ask this question: you mean to tell me that you can only find $150 billion that can be cut out of 3 trillion dollars being spent on a yearly basis?! You folks are the epitome of a wine taste on a beer budget! I am no economist, so therefore I am not going to claim to have an understanding of the debt ceiling. They try to claim that it is not a credit limit, but everything they have said with regards to this debt ceiling falls completely in line with a credit limit. I especially loved when President Obama used the lame excuse that if the debt ceiling was not raised, we would be unable to pay our bills.

I remember one time when I was strapped financially. I decided to use my credit card to pay my bills; that was money I didn't have. I had my debt paid down, but I was planning on charging my card up again due to making a larger purchase, which I did not have enough money for. I requested a credit increase, and was quickly denied. I figured it out in the end. I don't care how anyone explains it. A debt ceiling is nothing but an astronomical credit limit. We are presently sitting at over 14 trillion dollars. With the passing of this debt plan, it will allow us to reach a deficit of 17 trillion dollars with the blessing of our elected officials. The public either doesn't know or doesn't care about what is happening with our tax dollars. Those who do know are not willing enough to step in the way of the government to prevent them from doing as they please with our money.

Democrats want to appeal to lower income earners. That has always been their base; if you didn't know, just pay attention to how much they attack the wealthy in their speeches. So, what is the best way to secure a democrat's re-election? Make people depend on you through federal aid. They will take jobs away and force people to live off of unemployment and food stamps. They will push for amnesty of illegal immigrants. Look, Republicans are no better. I've said it before, the political divide has trickled down into the rest of America. I shouldn't even say "trickled": it has overcome us like a mega tsunami. I said it before, and I will say it again: one side is not more wrong over the other. Both sides are completely wrong. We have gone through decades of Democrats and Republicans trying to carry out their own agendas. Where has that led us? Well, just look at the country today. How many people out there wish you could go back about 10 years and have a do-over?

Once upon a time, I hardly ever heard anything regarding politics when it came to normal conversation. Now I can't go more than half a day without hearing someone point the finger at Democrats or someone else pointing to Republicans for the financial mess our country is in. The Republicans did plenty of damage during George W. Bush's presidency. Obama inherited a lot of what was created in the Bush era, but things have just spun completely out of control these past 2+ years. I didn't think it was possible to just add 4 trillion dollars to our deficit in a little over half a term. The average person is trying to figure out how to avoid spending more than $3,000 per month on rent, food, utilities and other miscellaneous necessities. Meanwhile the government is hard at work spending $4 billion per day...mind you, it's money they don't even really have right now. They must have that new unobtanium credit card with limitless spending privileges attached to it.

We are always taught that - if you plan to enter a loan - you want to make sure you are on time with your payments and that you want to either drastically reduce or completely pay off that loan before entering another long term financial committment. So, these rules have been ingrained in us, and yet the government seems to be operating on a completely different set of fundamentals when it comes to budget management, or lack thereof.

I have heard a myriad of proposals that offered deficit reductions of anywhere between two and six trillion dollars. Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma absolutely floored me when he presented a deficit reduction plan that sought to bring the deficit down by as much as nine trillion dollars! I read through a chunk of it and realized something that many of us do not realize. He, along with a team of economic experts did a great deal of research and found a great deal of duplicatve spending. To give you a simple persective, duplicative spending is creating and funding two or more organizations/departments which serve the same or similar purposes. He also goes on to identify how much money is dedicated to all of these organizations as well as how they can all be condensed into one central location. It is amazing how much money is just being thrown away by the government. Sen. Coburn's proposal is not just an outline: it is a 600+ page document which is chalk full of footnotes citing his facts.

Many people will look at what I am putting in this blog and say that I am wasting my breath and increasing my chances of getting carpal tunnel syndrome. Many of you will continue to look at your own personal political views. I am not supporting one side over the other. I only want everyone to see how bad our country is doing. I want everyone to know that the vast majority of politicians are out there to fulfill their own private agendas while in office. I want people to actually think about who they are electing. When is the last time anyone could look at a politician and really say that he/she was the REAL DEAL?! Politicians today target our weaknesses and use them as their strengths. I wish I knew that method when I was selling cars, I would have sold at least 30 cars per month and I would be up a couple of notches in the tax bracket! I said it once and I will say it again: the government is unconstitutional! They violate our rights in so many ways, and make us feel powerless at the same time. We need to do something about it. I'm done talking about this issue. Time to bring up public assistance/welfare/amnesty/illegal immigration...that will be on the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment